Thursday, November 30, 2006

Who and what I found in Cairo, Illinois this semester...

I met Roy by the river. He likes to spend his spare time driving his truck along the levee.


Dora McGuinness. 80 years young. Any Cairo resident will tell you that she is the greatest auto-part expert in all of Southern Illinois. I spent one morning with her, and I would agree.


These gentlemen were repairing a sidewalk outside one of Cairo's many churches.


Meet Bobby Mayberry. Alexander County 911 dispatcher. A lover of digital photography. Collector of Cairo memorabilia.


Frank McGuinness. Younger brother to Dora. Supporter of "A New Cairo."


Bill. He told me he is ALWAYS on a cigarette break! (Business is slow).


Bobby shows a stunned Ja'Var old-timey Jet magazine. (It mentions Cairo's racial problems that were happening at that time. 1960's).


A legendary Nonny burger. Yes, it really is worth the drive. You should go now...to Nonny's...now. Because it's always fun to consume a cheeseburger as large as your face.


This guy told me I was stupid for being in Cairo alone. Someone called him to check out the "suspicious character with cameras." I guess a middle class white girl taking pictures on public property is pretty shady.


Bobby's daughter Maggie. Travels to basketball games around Southern Illinois with her father. Loves coffee. Seriously.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

cant wait to see louisville through your eyes,great pictures I feel like i know these people and that burger looks fab.

J.T. - said...

When I read your blog, I feel like you're carrying me around in a backpack.

Is Dora 7' tall?

Keli B. said...

nah, dora is about 5'2''
i just held the camera at my waist and shot up (with the camera...not drugs).
it's trickery.

Bobby Mayberry said...

That is a beautiful baby! Too bad about her daddy...