Friday, August 31, 2007

Airplanes, Weddings, and Babies, Oh My!


Today I leave for Denver, Co.
I'm going to a wedding of one of my dearest friends, Sarah Jacob. I've never been to Denver, so I'm quite excited to be able to check this one off the list. As you know, I love visiting major U.S. cities! Just maybe I have a list going!

Sarah Jacob & Rodney Crawford

This may leave many of you wondering about how I am getting to Denver. Well, I'm riding on an airplane. "Gasp!" "Oh My!" "Can she fly? She's pregnant!" Well, worry not my dear readers. It is perfectly safe for me to fly at this stage in my pregnancy. But to make you feel even better, I'll let you know that is was ok'd by my doctor.

Also, today I am 18 weeks pregnant. Pretty crazy, huh? Yesterday, I believe that I detected some movement! It felt like a bizarre little popping in my belly. Now, I can't be 100% sure, but judging from what ladies who have been pregnant tell me, that is what it feels like at first. Pretty wild stuff.

Here are some 18 weeks facts for you.


*Photos from pregnancy.org

*Vernix (a white cheese-like protective material) forms on baby's skin with the lanugo (soft, lightly pigmented hair covering the body and limbs); both serving to protect baby's skin during the months in water.
*Placenta continues to grow and nourish the baby.
*Tiny air sacs called alveoli begin to form in lungs. It'll be putting these lungs to good use in just a few months!
*Vocal chords are formed. It goes through the motions of crying but without air it doesn't make a sound.
*Features of baby's heart, including ventricles and chambers, should be visible during an ultrasound.
*Baby measures about 5.59 inches (14.2cm) this week and weighs about 6.7 ounces (190gm).


Anyway, hopefully I'll return with some decent pictures of my trip that I can share with you.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

these baby facts are really amazing. i mean i dont see how anyone could look at this and say that there isnt a God, or that "its a choice, not a life" wow

Paula-Beth said...

I really didn't want to fly while I was pg, but after driving 19 hours from Texas to Illi the first time, I figured it was MUCH safer for baby and me to make a 1.5 hour flight than to try than kind of drive again! I think they say it's safe up to 36 weeks in a normal pregnacy. It wasn't a bad flight, although I will say I seem to remember the seats being a little bit bigger last time I flew! LOL!